I went antiquing today in Springfield at my favorite place. That meant driving by the exit on I-70 to Cedarville, Route 72. It’s a road I’ve got to know very well over the past nine years. It’s taken me to nursing home ministry, to Cameron’s house, to work when I taught, and many a Dunkin run.
Nine years. Has it really been nine years since I first came out here to Ohio? I’m sure many of you remember that tumultuous time, and many of you prayed for me through requests from my Nana, my Mom, and even me (though usually I was asking for prayer that someone would come out to Ohio and get me…). If you don’t know the story, I never chose to delete those blog posts so you can go back and look at my desperate ramblings.
Thankfully it was really only that first year out there that truly tried my spirit, even though there were other blips along the way (namely my crusty old beloved apartment and a turbulent relationship I got into while living there), I actually went out early to school the next summer I missed it so dang much. Those were the best times, and I learned so much from quiet moments on campus, just me and the Lord. Once I found my own in the History & Government department and found kindred spirits in some of my professors, it felt finally like I belonged.
Now, that’s not to say I haven’t had my difficulties with the school since then, I struggle with feeling inadequate because though I’ve had many interviews with the school over the years, I’ve never been hired to work there. That’s hard on a spirit when all you want is to give back to a ministry that changed your life but they don’t seem to want you. It’s something I’ve tried my best to come to terms with, but it’s still bitter. There have also been times they’ve let me down with how administration has reacted to things of various natures, or stances they’ve taken, but I also know we’re still all humans in a fallen world and so the college is not perfect.
Despite the hurt, Alec and I still find much joy in randomly coming to campus for date nights and long walks. The town and university shaped so much of our story, and that makes things ever the more precious. It’s still so funny to think that our times at Cedarville overlapped, yet we never met each other!! (We both probably would’ve thought each other as losers based on our majors…).
Some verses that always comes to mind when I think of Cedarville and its professors are Philippians 1:3-6:
“I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” ESV
I pray for Cedarville, and I especially pray this weekend for its incoming students which include some girls who I love dearly! It sure has been an adventure these past nine years.




No comments:
Post a Comment